Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Mum, daughter travel in rain on m-cycle for RM5 Menu Rahmah meal

IPOH: A single mother and her daughter today braved the rain on their motorcycle to get to a supermarket that offers affordable meals under the Menu Rahmah initiative, which was launched recently to help those in need.

Suhaila Badarudin, 46, said she and her daughter, 17, travelled about 30 minutes from their home in Sungai Siput to the Mydin supermarket in Meru.

"Usually, a meal with rice, chicken curry, bean sprouts and mineral water costs between RM8 and RM10," said the mother of three.

"We just need to fill our stomachs. With RM5, I can buy two or three packets for me and my children for lunch."

Suhaila said she was grateful to the government for introducing Menu Rahmah.

An employee at the supermarket, who wanted to be known only as Muhammad, said the response from customers had been encouraging, so much so the supermarket had to prepare more side dishes.

Mohd Ezayddy Mohd Sofian, 41, operator of the Nasi Ayam Viral Klebang Putra restaurant in Chemor, also responded to the government's call to prepare Menu Rahmah.

"Some people asked me that if I sold chicken rice at RM4, would I make a profit?

"Yes, a little, but I want to help B40 households. However, because I sell in large quantities, the profit is still enough to be used to buy raw materials."

A customer, Hasliza Ahmad, 35, said she and her husband came to the shop after seeing the shop owner's post on the Facebook page about Menu Rahmah.

"I am happy to see many restaurants taking part in this initiative.

"Since I have a large family, I can buy in large quantities.

"The price of chicken rice in the market is RM7 to RM10, so the price of Menu Rahmah is affordable.

"I hope the government lowers the price of raw materials too. If I focus only on Menu Rahmah, it may not be sustainable.

"I have four children, and a single purchase of meals (for the family) is already RM30.

"With that amount, I can buy fish or chicken to feed my family for a week," she said at the restaurant.

On Tuesday, the Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry launched Menu Rahmah, which offers a lunch or dinner meal priced at RM5 per plate, at 15,000 eateries nationwide. Bernama

© New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd



from New Straits Times https://ift.tt/W69nPzx

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement