Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Practice mindfulness at work

THIS week was tough for me. It was a combination of various things. From finishing up projects to starting new ones, from being financially stretched to hiring new people while re-training my existing team, it has been a "pressure-cooker" time for me.

What happens to us when we are strained?

Even the smallest thing can trigger an emotional outburst. I had a timely reminder of this when I realised, I was being fastidious and short fused with a member of my team. It occurred to me that under "normal" circumstances, I would have been so much more level headed.

I "course-corrected" immediately, accepted in my mind that I was being overly finicky and calmed down.

Doing what I did, is referred to as being mindful. It can be easy to get caught up in a web of nervous thoughts. But this can harmfully impact our efficiency, health and well-being, and lead to even more reasons to worry.

The practice of mindfulness is to concentrate our attention exclusively on the present in order to focus the mind and avoid distractions. It is an instant awareness of your own experience, without judgment.

If you can demonstrate mindfulness, you are fully aware of your thoughts, emotions, and actions. At the same time, you do not get caught up in them and can stop yourself from being reactive.

I am grateful that I have learnt to do this, even if not expertly, because it helps me recalibrate and start again with purpose. Here are some of the ways that will help you get into the mindset of being mindful.

I am sure you have heard of various meditating techniques. If you can do this, then go for it. But I struggle with "meditation" although my folks and "spiritual teachers" have tried, unsuccessfully, to get me to do it. So, if you are like me, then try something else. I call it "silent sitting."

All I do is find a spot to be on my own, preferably with a view, and away from other people. I get to a comfortable seating position and I gaze out to find an object that I can concentrate on for a few minutes.

I tend to look for a flower or a building or anything that attracts me. I spend a few minutes just gazing at it, and only looking at that object. Sometimes my mind will wander, but I don't get upset and remind myself of the purpose for doing this exercise. Usually, it only lasts for three to five minutes.

But these few minutes ground and recalibrate me. It is like magic. I rediscover a sense of calmness.

The next thing I do for mindfulness, is that I deliberately slow-down.

Sometimes, the pace and demands of work can fracture your attention, and leave you feeling excessively hurried or overwhelmed. This happens to all of us. I schedule down time, and have "do nothing days."

My wife is often amazed at how lazy I can be. But I need it. We all need this. Times when we just do nothing and vegetate. It allows the body, mind, and spirit to rest. It helps with being mindful, because you are starting its practice with yourself.

Giving your routine tasks attention, is also necessary.

Sometimes it is important to think differently about an activity that you do routinely. For example, when you are doing paperwork, washing dishes, or ironing your clothes. Pay attention to the detail of the task at hand.

Let's take washing the dishes. It is a fairly rudimentary task that requires very little thought. But when you concentrate your attention, you will find enormous pleasure in seeing a plate getting cleaned or feeling the sensation of water flowing through your hands. When I clean a plate at home or in my restaurant, I notice that when I pay attention, this task actually makes me happy.

Strange, right? But I reckon enjoying doing the dishes and being in the moment, if you like, prevents my mind from getting distracted by other anxieties or worries. Focusing your mind like this a few times a day increases your feelings of positivity.

I have been the beneficiary of mindfulness.

It helps with better focus. It's not a quick fix but I get into "gear" more easily and quickly as I practice being mindful. It has helped me manage my stress levels which has been good for my heart and to regulate my emotions.

Being mindful has also increased my resilience. I am more adaptable and responsive in the face of sudden business backlashes, dramatically changing markets, or temperamental staff.

Most importantly, mindfulness has encouraged a different thinking in me. It has enabled the generation of more innovative solutions to my business problems.

In your working life, practicing mindfulness reduces stress, improves concentration, increases resilience, stimulates creativity, and generally increases your emotional intelligence. So, start practicing it.

© New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd



from New Straits Times https://ift.tt/vWzGQOK

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement